Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Cornerman

   
     Recently I was offered to represent Nicaragua in the Central American MMA circuit on Nahautl Team. It is a team of close friends of mine all of whom have the common goal of using martial arts to share the Gospel. My first match in the sport will be in Panama, and I will compete in either May or June, depending on my passport situation(It was in a backpack that was stolen from my truck one day.) I have been working with several coaches in various martial arts disciplines to prepare for the fight ahead. I have learned many lessons in my training, some related to diet, some to technique, others to strategy. The most valuable lesson is to know you cornerman's voice intimately.
     A fighter has to condition himself or herself(There are lady brawlers too.) to the voice of his or her trainer. When the crowd is screaming, the music is blaring, and your adversary is insulting you to your face, you have to be able to focus your ears and lsten for your cornerman's commands in the midst of the battle. He is there with water when you are beaten and exhausted to encourage you to keep going. When you stop listening or refuse to listen, you are assured a loss. He sees the outside angles and the weaknesses from outside, and he knows your vulnerabilities. It is the voice of direction that carries you to victory, even when the odds are against you.
      For everyone in their own way, life is a struggle. We are all fighting something. From pressure, finances, relationships, success, starvation, our past, our present, desires, to loss and fear, we all need a cornerman to put things into perspective and to guide us step by step through the ring. It is comforting to know that whenever I feel like I am out for the count, I can depend on God to speak into my life and lift me to my feet again. With God in my corner, there is no fight I can lose. He prepares me every day with new experiences that make me stronger and wiser. He sees the situations I am living. He guides my moves. He will never leave my corner no matter how great the challenger. He knows me completely, and He has the perfect game plan to carry me to victory. It is up to me to listen for His voice in the heat of battle.
      "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you." -Deuteronomy 31:6

Modimo ao gaugele!
Seth

No comments:

Post a Comment