Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Back in the Neighborhood

 Guten abend meinen freunden!


      So it has been over two years since I have written here. I have dearly missed the cathartic experience of writing. I have a good many stories to tell from my absence, and there are new ones being written in my quotidian routine. I have had a son, traveled to several new countries, fought numerous more fights and tournaments, been robbed, caught chikungunya fever, moved from Nicaragua, etc., etc.

       I have another fight coming soon, and my son will be a year old soon. There will be a lot to update, and I will even be publishing some poetry here too. I have to say that in spite of some Everest highs and Mariana's trench lows over the last couple of years, I am left with just two words: praise God! The road is very winding right now and there are certain to be many obstacles, ecstasies, and mundane moments ahead. I welcome them all as well as the lessons they bring. No vayas por el camino que te lleva, sino ve por donde no hay camino y deja huellas.

     I am back in East St. Louis with more skills and knowledge to prepare leaders there. Now we have people from around the world who Skype the kids for them to practice their language skills. I have to thank all of the people who have poured MMA techniques and wisdom into me in my excursions throughout Central America and to Katayama-san in Osaka for the boxing tips as well. It is great to be able to share them with my students here. I have more kids consistently kicking butt than in any class I have taught anywhere.

     I have to say though that my return has been somewhat bizarre and sad. Many of the business' in East St. Louis have shut down. Shootings have gone up. While visiting one of the projects, I ran across a young man who had been shot four times. We went up to his room to pray for him, and we could see the bandages on his arm and his stomach. He could stand up, but he is confined to his room. He makes me think of this city: seriously wounded, but alive and breathing. There is much to be done here. The school district is on strike as well. Many kids are losing out on what education they get. The timing is right for this season in my life to work here again.

    There is so much more to share, but this is just to break the ice. I will be putting time into this periodically to keep everyone updated as to what is going on on the frontline, and I will also be putting up some of the stories from my "sabbatical" from this page. Have a great day, and keep fighting the good fight!


Daiwan jaini mai mumbia!

No comments:

Post a Comment